4. ASSEMBLE THE SCIENCE INSTRUMENTS.
View the whole assembled model
Lunar Prospector's science experiments are the whole reason for flying the mission. The instruments perform sensing of the lunar surface and environment, and the radio communications link provides a means to measure graivty field via Doppler shift.
- From Parts Sheet A, release the single piece which represents the ALPHA PARTICLE SPECTROMETER & NEUTRON SPECTROMETER. On the back of the piece, notice two small tabs colored black, just above the letters NS. Fold down those tabs, black toward NS, about 90 degrees. This represents the Neutron Spectrometer.
- Fold up panels A, B, C, D, and E to form a box. Join the tab on C with the slot on A, and twist the tab so it will hold. Leave the NS protruding. Secure with glue to hold the box shape.
- From Parts Sheet A, release the MAGNETOMETER/ER (ER stands for ELECTRON REFLECTOMETER). Notice the long hinge along the member which supports the square marked M (this represents the Magnetometer). Using a straightedge, fold all along this hinge, down away from the gold, about 90 degrees, to stiffen this boom.
- Fold up panels A, B, C, D, and E to form a box as with the AP/NS. Let the long member, which supports the Magnetometer, protrude straight out. Secure with glue.
- From Parts Sheet A, release the GAMMA RAY SPECTROMETER. Roll it into a cylinder, silver side out, and glue together at the end marked with a thin white rectangle.
- Notice each SCIENCE INSTRUMENT piece has a triangle printed on it. This indicates how it will attach to the end of its INSTRUMENT BOOM.
| GO ON TO THE NEXT STEP |
| INSTRUCTIONS FIRST PAGE |