1. ASSEMBLE THE HIGH-GAIN ANTENNA (HGA) DISH.
View the whole assembled model
- With a pen or pencil, mark the inside center of the plastic HIGH GAIN ANTENNA Dish (HGA). With a sharp, new art knife, make two slits through the center, in a + pattern, crossing at the center mark. Each slit should be about half a cm (or 1/4 inch) long. Watch out, the bottom center of the HGA will want to crumble into a shower of plastic particles, so you may want to catch them in a cup!
- From sheet C, release the two FEEDCONE HALVES. Join at right angles, one slot into another, and insert its crosshatched end into the cross-slot in the HGA. Stand it straight up inside the dish and secure with a small amount of plastic glue.
- Release the TRIPOD from sheet C. Press the edge of a straightedge into the hinge along the middle of each leg to crease it. This will add rigidity to the tripod, keeping the legs nice and straight. The direction toward which you crease the edges of each leg will be called the inside.
- Release the two halves of the SUBREFLECTOR, labelled SR 1/2, from sheet C. Join at right angles, slot into slot. Insert them up from the inside of the TRIPOD into the cross-slot in its center. The J-shaped feature on one side of the SUBREFLECTOR goes through the slot marked J. Adjust flat edges of SUBREFLECTOR up into contact with the TRIPOD. Secure with glue.
- Release the small gold LGA (Low-Gain Antenna) from sheet A. Glue its center cross-slot over the top of the SUBREFLECTOR, gold side up. Refer to the Fact Sheet illustration.
- Bend all the TRIPOD legs down (toward the inside), making a crease at each black line.
- Using a tiny drop of plastic glue, glue the cross-hatched foot of one TRIPOD leg to the upper side of the HGA, positioning it above the circular collar which is on the bottom of the HGA.
- Position the TRIPOD's two remaining cross-hatched feet above the collar on the HGA such that the SUBREFLECTOR becomes level and centered directly above the FEEDCONE. Secure each crosshatched foot to the HGA with a tiny drop of plastic glue.
- Place the HGA in front of you with the "J" mark on the subreflector facing directly AWAY from you. Measure up 1 cm (3/8 inch) from the top of the HGA's circular collar, directly in front of you, and place a dot. With a sharp new art knife, carefully cut a 7 mm (1/4 inch) square out of the HGA, centered on your mark.
| GO ON TO THE NEXT STEP |
| INSTRUCTIONS FIRST PAGE |