1. ASSEMBLE THE COMMUNICATIONS ANTENNA.
View the whole assembled model
View the completed HGA from a later step in the assembly instructions.
- From sheet B, release the large, yellow & black HIGH GAIN ANTENNA. There are 21 black ribs with release points at their outside edges. Note: One or more of these ribs failed to release from the central structure on the actual spacecraft. This fact is ignored in the model.
- Identify the ribs which border three V-shaped open sections. Smear a thin surface of glue along one of these ribs, and overlap the adjacent rib onto the glue, so the flat circular web begins to bend up into a shallow cone. Hold together until dry, then repeat with the ribs bordering the other two open sections. Bend the ribs and webbing gently so that the antenna's shape becomes more or less symmetrical.
- Release the TRIPOD from sheet C. Bend all the TRIPOD legs down, making a crease at each white line, so the TRIPOD will stand on its legs.
- Release the two halves of the REFLECTOR STRUCTURE on the same sheet. Slide the halves together at right angles, slot into slot. Insert the crosshatched tabs into the cross-slot in the center of the TRIPOD. Adjust the flat portions of the REFLECTOR STRUCTURE into flush contact with the TRIPOD. Glue together, keeping all pieces at right angles.
- Release the HGA SUNSHADE from sheet B. Fit its center cross-slot down over the REFLECTOR STRUCTURE's small black cross-tabs. The side with the more pronounced white lines faces downward. Secure with glue at right angles to the REFLECTOR STRUCTURE.
- Insert the white tabs on the foot of one TRIPOD leg into one of the holes in the HIGH GAIN ANTENNA. Secure with glue from above.
- Repeat with the TRIPOD's two remaining white feet on the ANTENNA DISH. Adjust, if necessary, so the REFLECTOR STRUCTURE rises vertically out of the HGA cone. Secure with glue from above, then when dry, remove all tabs protruding below.
- Release the large, circular, black BUS SUNSHADE from sheet B. Glue to the bottom of the HIGH GAIN ANTENNA, lining up their central holes. The side with the more pronounced white lines faces downward. The faint white U-shaped mark on the top of the BUS SUNSHADE should be straight outboard from any one TRIPOD leg.
| GO ON TO THE NEXT STEP |
| INSTRUCTIONS FIRST PAGE |
| SCI HOME PAGE |