4. ASSEMBLE THE SCIENCE INSTRUMENTS.
View the whole assembled model
Lunar Prospector's science experiments are the whole reason for flying the mission. The instruments perform sensing of the lunar surface and environment, and the radio communications link provides a means to measure graivty field via Doppler shift.
- From Sheet 1, cut out the single piece which represents the ALPHA PARTICLE SPECTROMETER AND NEUTRON SPECTROMETER (APS). Score the lines joining the six squares, and fold into a box. Printing faces out. The unmarked tab glues onto panel A to close the box. Let the appendages NS protrude. Secure with glue.
- Cut out the MAGNETOMETER/ELECTRON REFLECTOMETER (MAG/ER) from Sheet 1 and form a box as above. Let the long member, which supports the magnetometer, protrude straight out. You may wish to reinforce it against sagging.
- Cut out the GAMMA RAY SPECTROMETER (GRS). Roll it into a cylinder, and glue together at the end marked GLUE.
- Notice each SCIENCE INSTRUMENT piece has a triangle printed on it. This indicates how it will attach to the end of its SCIENCE INSTRUMENT BOOM.
- Option: Apply aluminum foil to the whole GRS.
- Option: Apply gold ink to the rectangular box portion of the MAG/ER
- Option: Apply gold ink to appendages NS of the APS.
| GO ON TO THE NEXT STEP |
| INSTRUCTIONS FIRST PAGE |